Why Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration Shingles are Better Than Other Brands
M&T Exteriors knows that re-shingling your roof is a costly endeavor. You want it done right and you want it to protect your home from the elements for a long time. We’ve had decades of experience, working with different manufacturers such as GAF, Tamko, IKO, Certainteed and others, they all have good shingles. But, when replacing a roof, good shingles, just aren’t good enough. There is one shingle that stands out well beyond the other, “good” shingles”, Owens Corning’s Duration shingles.
Here are some reasons why when replacing a roof, our preference is Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration Shingles.
What makes Owens Corning Durations shingles stand above and beyond?
It starts right here, SureNail® Technology
The Duration shingle is unique with its patented SureNail ® Technology, Owens Corning’s triple layer technology in the nailing line. You’ll notice a visible fabric strip down the middle of the shingles designed for nails. The triple layer of reinforcement provides long-term strength and endurance. That allows for a consistent, quality installation, increasing the lifetime and performance of your roof.
|OC Duration with SureNail||Competitor B||Competitor C|
Competitors have a limited line for fastening nails, seen above marked with a small white line, in which the nail head is to be incontact with the nail line.
High winds are a common occurrence winds above 60 mph can damage roofs that are poorly nailed
|Showing overdriven nails||Showing shingles nailed to high above the nail zone.||Showing the net result of poorly nailed shingles.|
Every contractor will agree, shingles fastened when nailed through a common bond in the nailing zone are more secure. And 9 out of 10 contractors agree that SureNail ® Technology gives the strongest and most visible nail line.
In rigorous testing, SureNail ® Technology outperforms single layer shingles in nail pull-through resistance, nail blow- through resistance, and delamination resistance with impressive results.
- Nail Pull-Through Resistance: This shows that your shingles will stay put in high winds. This test simulates the force high winds put on shingles. TruDefinition Duration Shingles out performed competitors by up to 2.5 times. As a result, Owens Corning shingles are guaranteed to sustain winds up to 130 mph.
- Nail Blow-Through Resistance: This impacts the overall ability of the nail to hold the shingles to the roof. Overdriven nails can leave a place for water to seep, leading to potential water damage to your home. TruDefinition Duration Shingles had a nail blow-through resistance 9 times better than the competition, which makes a drastic difference especially in cold weather climates.
- Delamination Resistance: In this test, shingles were nailed down and heated to 180 degrees fahrenheit. They are then pulled to test their resistance to separation. The results give TruDefinition Duration Shingles twice the delamination resistance.
These tests prove that the wider common bond and triple layer of SureNail ® technology are created to hold your shingles in place.
Total Protection Roofing System
Owens Corning total protection roofing systems, ensure that your roof is fully protected from wind, rain, ice, heat in the attic, and other risks brought on by the elements. This system is designed to work together, giving you the best warranties on your roof.
The three layers of Owen Corning’s Total Protection Roofing System, Seal, Defend, and Breathe.
- Seal, underlayments: The first layer of protection is a moisture barrier at eaves, valleys and roof penetrations, and asphalt felt or synthetic underlayments which seals, protecting your roof from unwanted moisture.
- Defend, Shingles: The middle layer is the shingles which defend your home from the elements (wind, rain, hail, ice, etc).
- Breath, ventilation: The top layer is designed for attic ventilation, allowing your home to breathe. Improper ventilation is the leading (see article on ventilation) cause of failure to the roof system.
Put these three layers together and your roof has total protection.
Certified roofing contractors are trained in the installation of Owens Corning products, allowing contractors to offer higher level warranties. This is a benefit to you as the customer. Talk to your roofer about these options.
Most often, a claim on a roof is an installation problem rather than a manufacturing issue. These claims are commonly rejected. Hiring a certified contractor who is experienced and has a solid reputation will prevent those issues. M&T Exteriors, Inc is proud to say that we are a certified installer Owens Corning and other manufactures, with over 70 years of combined roofing experience, and many satisfied customers.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
The Limited Lifetime Warranty guarantees that as the owner of your home, the warranty protects you from any manufacturing defects for as long as you own your home. Depending on the shingles you choose, you may be eligible for system coverage. With four tiers of coverage, you can put your mind at ease knowing that you’re covered.
- Standard Roofing System warranty
- System Protection warranty using the Seal, Defend, Breathe materials. You don’t need a OC Preferred contractor to get this warranty.
- Preferred Protection System warranty can be offered by OC Preferred Contractors.
- The Platinum Protection System warranty can be offered by OC Platinum Preferred Contractors.
Owens Corning has a reputation for honoring their warranties, with a top tier ranking in customer service and satisfaction in the industry.
There is a large selection of options to help you with the aesthetic of your home as well as function of the shingles.
Owens Corning offers 7 lines of shingles, all in 4 to 14 different colors..
Beyond Durations, Owens Corning offers Specialty shingles which offer specific protection for your home:
- Impact-resistant shingles: For areas with severe weather including hail, you’ll want to look into this option. The dual patented technologies allow for superior adhesion for maximum holding power against high winds. Weather guard technology allows the shingles to meet a Class 4 impact rating.
- Algae/stain resistant: Algae build up creates those ugly, dark flowing stains. Owens Corning has shingles with StreakGuard protection, which is available in all lines. Copper in the shingles leeches out to prevent algae growth, helping you maintain curb appeal on your home.
- Wind protection: Owens Corning can provide a warranty for up to 130 mph winds for most lines with enhanced installation.
- Energy Star: If you’re looking for energy efficiency, shingles that reflect UV rays, keeping roofs cooler. This can help lengthen the life of your roof by reducing asphalt aging of the shingles.
With a solid limited lifetime warranty, SureNail ® Technology, a total protection roofing system, certified contractors, and a large selection to fulfill a variety of needs, Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration Shingles prove to be superior shingles over other brands and will protect your home for years to come. Contact M&T Exteriors ,inc. today to have chat with expert residential roofing company in Chicago, IL and help you select the perfect Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration Shingles for your home.